Welcome to Dylan Days
Welcome to the online home of Dylan Days, an organization supporting the arts and honoring Bob Dylan in his hometown of Hibbing, Minnesota. Over the years Dylan Days has built a grassroots tradition including the singer/songwriter contest, writing contest and literary showcase, visual arts competition, Bobby Zimmerman bus tour, live music and more.
HIBBING, Minn. ─ Dylan Days, the music and arts event held every year in Bob Dylan's hometown, announces its 2013 Singer/Songwriter contest on May 24 and, if necessary, May 25. Contestants will be invited to sing one Dylan song and one original song in a judged competition. Singer/songwriters in the signature Friday, May 24 evening lineup will compete for an electric guitar. A "bonus" contest singer/songwriter contest (for more casual competitors) may be held the afternoon of Saturday, May 25, competing for an acoustic guitar, if the Friday event fills.
The singer/songwriter contest is acoustic, with vocal and guitar mics on stage and a house sound system. For more information or to RSVP for either competition, call the numbers below.
The 2013 singer/songwriter contest is currently full, but you can call ahead to see if there are cancellations:
Friday night’s Songwriters Contestants
- Sonny Johnson – Red Lake, MN
- Chris Haise – Milwaukee, WI
- Kevin Torbenson – Mankato, MN
- Iris Kolodji – Hibbing, MN: performing as “In Theory” with Alia Jeraj & Rachelle Smith both from Minneapolis, MN
- Peter Kaye – Hopkins, MN
- Sam Erickson – Mt. Iron, MN
- Rachael Kilgour – Duluth, MN
- Tim Cheesebrow – St. Paul, MN
- Danielle Ate The Sandwich aka Danielle Anderson – Minneapolis, MN
- Sam Tuthill – Britt, MN
- Sherry Bright – Minocqua, WI
- Actual Wolf aka Eric Pollard – Grand Rapids, MN
- Martin Sommers – Virginia Beach, VA
- Katie Ziegler – Staples, MN
- Joe Thompson – Detroit, MI
- Scott Rudd –Hudson, WI
- Ryan Lee – Minneapolis, MN
Saturday Night Contest
- Gary Burt – Marble, MN
- Scott Wilcox – Tomah, WI
- Jarret Thompson – Bloomington, MN
- Jerry Schlafer –
- Dan Botkin – East Peoria, IL
- Sheila Wonders – currently in Duluth but Everywhere man!
- Adam Herman – Eveleth, MN
- Levi Nodari – Iowa City, IA
- Jim Staley – Evansville, IN
- Natalie Scally – Hibbing, MN
- Ted & Jerry VonFeldt – originally from Hibbing, MN via Collier’s BBQ – their good friend Leroy Vague currently from Hibbing will be joining them
- Tim Valvonado – Lakeland, MN
- Bob Brate – Osceola, WI
- George Ellsworth – Duluth, MN
- Jessica Pistor – Michigan , past Duluthian
- Paul Seeba – St. Paul, MN formerly from Hibbing, MN
NOTE: To get on the showbill for the 2013 contest call Linda at Zimmy's at 218-262-6145 or 1-866-305-3849 or e-mail Linda at zimmys(at)mchsi.com. Contestants MUST pre-register.
2011 Dylan Days Singer/Songwriter winners
- Helly and the Dazers (Helen Marshman & Andy Bridge), Liverpool England
- TIE - Luke "Little Diamonds" Sopiwnik and Chris Haise, Milwaukee Wisconsin
- Gary Burt, Marble, MN
- Mark Sutton, Sydney, Australia
2010 Dylan Days Singer/Songwriter winners
- Danny Fox, Peoria, Ill.
- Sam Erickson, Chisholm, Minn.
- Luke "Little Diamonds" Sopiwnik, Minneapolis
2009 Dylan Days Singer/Songwriter winners
- Luke "Little Diamonds" Sopiwnik
- Danny Fox
- Thomas Kivi
2008 Dylan Days Singer/Songwriter winners:
- Danny Fox, New Lenox, Ill.
- Collen Myhre, Carlton, Minn.
- Taryn Gillespie, Mavine, Minn.